Monday, November 4, 2013

Exposures - In Retrospect And Denial Part 1

If I had a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk forever in my garden. - Claudia Ghandi

Googled from: www.jonathanphotos.com



Just imagine that guy surrounded by flowers instead of random plants. I know baseball season ended less than a week ago, but I already miss it. Fantasy Baseball has been over since October 1st and all I have are my trophies to console me until next season. As promised, I will be posting about this past fantasy baseball season on Mondays. So let's start with my first team, the Pandora Vault Hunters. You can also see the draft recap here!

The Pandora Vault Hunters
10 team league, standard 5 x 5 roto scoring, snake draft. I had the #1 pick in the draft.

Draft Recap:

Round Name Position
1 Ryan Braun OF
2 Adrian Beltre 3B
3 David Price SP
4 Billy Butler 1B, DH
5 Matt Holiday OF
6 C.C. Sabathia SP
7 Jason Kipnis 2B
8 Aaron Hill 2B
9 Alex Gordon OF
10 Martin Prado OF
11 Elvis Andrus SS
12 Dan Haren SP
13 Carlos Beltran OF
14 Lance Lynn SP
15 Greg Holland RP
16 Matt Harvey SP
17 Chris Davis 1B, DH
18 Miguel Montero C
19 Todd Frazier 3B
20 Lance Berkman 1B, DH
21 Kenley Jansen RP
22 Andrelton Simmons SS
23 Carlos Marmol RP
24 Garrett Jones 1B, OF
25 Jose Veras RP

Overall I think this was a solid draft, even though the #1 pick ended up a bust because he (finally) got busted for PEDs. Beltre and Price were great. Butler had a disappointing year, but it was still decent. Holiday was a stud. Sabathia was fair. Kipnis was the 2nd best 2B and was a nice get in the 7th round. Aaron Hill on the other hand was a bust. Yeah, his average was ok, but he barely played all season. Alex Gordon took a big step forward and was a solid player. Martin Prado was good too, but I lost patience with him early and dropped him. Elvis Andrus was low on a lot of people's lists, but he stepped up this season and ended with the 2nd best stats for SS. Dan Haren, bad, dropped him fairly early on. Carlos Beltran, even though he was rested once a week or so, turned in a great season. Lance Lynn started well, but the last couple of months were not kind to him. I think I dropped him in late August. Greg Holland had a great year. Matt Harvey was outstanding until his elbow exploded late in the season. Wow, I can't believe I got Chris Davis all the way in the 17th round. Amazing value there, will probably be in the top 10 next season. Miguel Montero was pretty disappointing, but he wasn't around long enough on my squad to bring me down. Todd Frazier wasn't as advertised. I cut him in May or so. Lance Berkman, I really wanted him to have a bounce back season, but it went the opposite direction. He was dropped early on. Kenley Jansen was a great get in the 21 round. He wasn't the closer to start the season, but it only took about a month of awfulness from Brandon League before he became the closer. Andrelton Simmons had a decent rookie season, but I dropped him after a month or two. Carlos Marmol didn't last long. Garrett Jones wasn't the utility player I thought I was getting, so he got dropped early too. Jose Veras had a pretty good half season as the Astros' closer, he got dropped once he was traded to the Tigers. 

Curious to see what my squad looked like on the last day of the season? I know I am! 

Position Name
C Wilson Ramos
1B Chris Davis
2B Brian Dozier
3B Adrian Beltre
SS Elvis Andrus
2B/SS Asdrubal Cabrera
1B/3B Matt Adams
OF Matt Holiday
OF Wil Myers
OF Leonys Martin
OF Brandon Moss
OF Denard Span
UTIL Jason Kipnis
Bench Billy Butler
Bench Alex Gordon
Bench Carlos Beltran
P Greg Holland
P Trevor Rosenthal
P Rex Brothers
P Brad Ziegler
P LaTroy Hawkins
P Francisco Rodriguez
P Sean Doolittle
P Bryan Shaw
Bench Julio Teheran

I don't remember how long Ramos was on the squad, but the Cather position was pretty volatile on my team, overall decent production though. Chris Davis = MVP, until after the All-Star break, then he was just pretty good. Brian Dozier was a nice surprise from the Twins, I'm not sure when I picked him up though. Beltre, solid cash money. Elvis Andrus, great productivity from SS. Asdrubal Cabrera, kind of decent utility. I don't remember when I added him. Matt Adams was picked up after Allen Craig went down. Good get by me! Matt Holiday all day every day. Wil Myers was a beast after they called him up mid season. Leonys Martin did a pretty decent job of filling Nelson Cruz's void. Denard Span was a late, but great addition. Kipnis was fantastic. Butler was not himself, but the production was ok. Alex Gordon was very good. Carlos Beltran was Carlos Beltran.

Because I reached my Games Started limit about halfway through September, I eventually dropped all my starters and added closers and solid set-up guys to help Saves, ERA, and WHIP. So most of those guys pitching for me have only been on the squad for a week or a couple of days. 

Final Breakdown of points:
Place PTS R HR RBI SB AVG K W SV ERA WHIP
1st 78 1119 294 1137 188 0.2739 1375 82 87 3.447 1.185
Rank 1st 1st 1st 1st 2nd 3rd 2nd 5th 7th 5th 5th

Final Thoughts:
I tried roto (rotisserie) scoring for the first time in the 2012 season and finished around the middle in the leagues I was in. This season I had 4 roto teams and fared much much better. The Pandora Vault Hunters were 1 of 3 teams that finished 1st in roto leagues. 

While my batting stats were ridiculously good, my pitching was barely decent enough. I didn't want to pay for saves in the draft and that shows in finishing 7th in saves, but my starters did enough to keep me on top.

I made 56 roster moves, which was tied for 2nd. 

There wasn't or didn't seem to be much of a challenge in this league, I was in 1st for the last couple of months straight. 



No comments:

Post a Comment